Australian supermarkets have begun recalling bags of frozen vegetables because they may contain the deadly bacteria listeria.
Woolworths, IGA and ALDI are among the supermarkets removing sweetcorn and frozen vegetables from their shelves.
Some of ALDI’s own-brand products, including Market Fare frozen vegetables, are among those affected. Also affected are Woolworths Essentials snap frozen mixed vegetables and Bell Farms steam veggie carrot, corn and broccoli bags.
Black and Gold branded frozen vegetables are at risk too. They have been recalled across the country.
ALDI, Woolworths, IGA, Campbells and independent grocery stores have all sold these products.
The food standards agency says anyone in possession of the listed products should throw them away or return them for a refund.
Listeria is particularly dangerous for pregnant women and their unborn babies. It can be fatal for people with compromised immune systems, such as those who are chronically ill or receiving chemotherapy.
Listeriosis begins with flu-like symptoms such as fever, chills, muscle aches, nausea and sometimes diarrhoea.
Anyone who experiences these symptoms should contact their doctor without delay.
The products being recalled in Australia include:
- Woolworths: Essentials snap frozen mixed veg 1kg: carrots, peas, corn, green beans and potatoes. National distribution, best before March 19, 2020 – April 24, 2020.
- Woolworths: Bell Farms Steam Veggie Carrot Corn and Broccoli 3pk 450g. National distribution, all stock.
- IGA: Black and Gold Corn Kernels 500g bags.
- IGA: Black and Gold Mixed Vegetables 1kg: carrots, peas, beans and corn.
- ALDI: Market Fare Peas, Carrots and Super Sweet Corn 1kg.
- ALDI: Market Fare Corn Kernels 1kg. Queensland, Victoria, WA and selected NSW stores – product of Hungary only.
- ALDI: Market Fare Mixed Vegetables 1kg. Queensland, NSW, ACT, WA – packed in Belgium from imported and Belgian ingredients (only).
- ALDI: Market Fare Quick Steam Carrot Broccoli and Cauliflower 450g. National distribution, only products with country of origin of Belgium, UK or Hungary. All other countries not affected.